Friday, January 1, 2010

Polar Bear Swim, Coney Island 2010 New Years Day

Happy New Year from Coney Island. Today is the famous Polar Bear Club swim. This is the day when everyone who wanted to take a dip in the freezing waters gets a chance. Now the theory is that the colder the day, the warmer the water feels. The weather leading up to today made this year very uncertain. December 21st was a snow day in NY with rain in the late afternoon. Snow was predicted for New Years Day. When I got up in the morning it was overcast and about 42 degrees. Around 9am I went to church. It was a simple service but very refreshing. Right after church, around 10.30 I headed to the boardwalk (2 blocks) and it was already becoming crowded. Generally there are a few thousand people who show up for the Polar Bear swim. It is all based on the weather. By 11.30am the weather was perfect, the temperature held at 45 degrees with the sun peaking out.


This was going to be a big day. I started working at the Grill House. Today my job was to fill all coffee orders. By the time I got behind the counter the crowds were increasing. The fire department had fortified the beaches with emergency equipment and had erected a heating shelter for people who froze themselves. We were so busy serving people up until 12.45 when the event starts. At that point people move to the beach area. I take a break and head out there to photograph the event. This year there were so many people it was hard to even reach the beach. The media was there with cameras and reporters gathering the latest information from the old timers who had 20 or more years of this under their belts. At precisely 1pm, the swimmers began their approach into the water. Hundreds upon Hundreds of them jumped into the water. The energy generated by the crowds cheering helped most to forget that they were jumping into a freezing body of water. People of all ages and ethnic groups enjoyed this event. As soon as most got half way in and felt the freezing water against their bare skin, they turned around and ran out. Screaming was heard across the beach. There were so many swimmers that they had to go into the water in waves. There is nothing like this event. For some of the swimmers this was a family event. There were a lot of dads with their sons and daughters. It was fun watching the fathers give their sons final instructions. I am sure these kids will never forget this meaningful event. As fast as the people were in the water they exited. By 3pm the beach and boardwalk were back to a normal quiet state with the sun beginning to set on a new year. At that point my work at the Gill House was over. I smelt like burnt sausage and greasy fries. My dear friend Steve who owns the Grill House gave me a hug goodbye and off I went.

I am not much of a football fan, so this little event really makes for a wonderful New Years Day. During the church service I was able to reflect on what I wanted to accomplish in this New Year. There is an enormous amount of encouragement that needs to be done this year. Lots of people are struggling and thirst for the Love of God that is given through His people. I am looking forward to the journey in this next year. God always has managed to surprise me with his creative management of my life.

May God bless your new year and give you many opportunities to serve His interests. Happy New Year from Brooklyn, USA

Out takes - Double Click on any picture to view in large scale...



































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures, wish I were there!