Tuesday, December 16, 2008

We are a week and 2 days from Christmas. Yesterday it was 62 degrees out and today it snowed. Each day that it is reasonable nice out, meaning that it is above 20 degrees and not pouring rain, I take a walk. On one walk I go towards Coney Island. The nice part about this walk is that when you get there, you see the ocean and feel the salt air. It is very relaxing.

Unlike my walk along the Hudson river and under the Verrazano Bridge, this walk is mostly on the streets. The attached picture is at Cropsey and Neptune Avenues looking towards the parachute drop. This is a very interesting picture for many reasons. One is that it portrays the intensity of the city with all the wires and buildings and cars. There is a sort of entanglement that is felt. This corner is two blocks from the Boardwalk. Now if you look very closely there is, in the midst of this entanglement an oasis. In the very center of this picture is a Church. This church is a Roman Catholic Church. I happened to visit this church during the early summer months and was very surprised at how many people attended this church. There was a rich balance ethnically and economically. The Priest in charge is a very down to earth man who each week gives a very simple message of hope and a challenge to dedicate ones life to Christ. To my surprise this church seemed to be very evangelical. Most every hymn we sang was of protestant origin. Inside the church was a beautiful sanctuary done in with Spanish influences. There is an amazing quietness there. At that point I started popping in on Sundays before I went to work on the boardwalk. But no more than 5 or so weeks past and the Priest went on vacation and was replaced by a foreign priest from Jamaica that I could not understand. So I stopped.

Seven months past and I again began passing this church on my newly established daily walk. So one day I opened the front door (it was unlocked) and walked in to sit and be quiet. The morning communion service was just starting so I joined the 10 people and received communion. How absolutely wonderful I felt after this refreshing meal. I prayed for a while and continued to the boardwalk. The next day I was back for more.

Although there are only 10 older people during the week at this 8am service, on Sundays there are about 600 people attending.

People today are very stressed with life. The greedy American corporations and our leaders have led our country down a pretty difficult path. I don’t know about you, but the most wonderful place to be is the House of the Lord. No matter what is happening in the world outside, inside is always protected by God’s presence. There is a young mother that works at one of the businesses I program for. She makes virtually nothing and has the total responsibility of caring for her child. On Friday night after I finish my work I offer her a ride home. Last week I asked her if she was feeling stressed by all that was going on. Without hesitation she replied, “I am not of this world!”. How simple is that thought.

Halfway along my walk to Coney Island is a house that is set back from the street. There are several trees in the yard and on one tree stump is a beautiful figurine. A little Tinkerbelle as it were is laying exhausted from life’s challenges. Thank God for the Christ’s Church that offers hope in the midst of our exhaustion.

Many Blessings,
Barre.

No comments: